We all want using cloth nappies to be as easy as possible right? Using a wrap and inserts is an often over looked but easy, cheap and effective system.
It is technically a two-part nappy as there is a waterproof layer separate from the absorbent insert acting as a nappy. This means that as with other two-part nappies only the absorbent part needs to be changed each time, the wrap or cover can be reused a few times. When buying wraps and inserts to use like this it’s worth taking that into consideration – you need less wraps than inserts.
With no thick layers you will find this set up dries quickly, the wraps within a few hours and the inserts (material dependent) within a day. This again means that you may need less as the turn around is fast!
For travelling and holidays this system is very popular, particularly as disposable soakers work very well used like this. But for days out it is perfect as a stack of inserts and a few wraps takes up next to no space in your changing bag.
The smaller budget, fast drying, compact nature of this method means that it works very well for families where there is more than one child in nappies.
So what do you do?
- Select an appropriate wrap that fits your baby comfortably.
2. Select an insert to go inside.
Some brands have nappies specifically designed to be used like this
- Grovia Shell with snaps or hook & loop with Inserts (a choice of 4 types: Organic Cotton, Stay Dry, No Prep and Biosoaker)
- Milovia Cover and Inserts (Stay Dry or Coolmax)
- Flip Cover and Inserts (a choice of 4 types: Day Time Organic Cotton, Night Time Organic Cotton, One Size Stay Dry and Disposable )
- Ecobebe by Ecopipo
- Miosoft Prefold and Cover by Bambino Mio
3. At nappy change time, remove the insert and store ready for washing
4. Check the wrap/cover isn’t too wet or at all dirty (you might like to give it a wipe over
5. Place clean insert into the wrap making sure it sits in the pouch between the legs. You can pop a liner on top here if you wish.
6. Fasten the wrap comfortably onto your baby
Of course you can mix and match brands and really use any wrap or cover that works well for you alongside your choice of insert. You will want the insert not to get lost inside the wrap so it should be sufficiently large that it won’t shift around. This system is:
- customisable to your desired absorbency
- will provide a trim fit as there is no bulk over the hips
- incorporating of items you may already own.
All in all a wrap and inserts it is a fantastically simple and effective cloth nappy system.