The OmieBox is an insulated bento box that holds hot and cold food all in the same lunchbox. It has two temperature zones so food keeps warm in the thermos while the rest stays cool!
- Helps you pack healthier lunches with more variety.
- Keeps food hot and cold in the same box.
- Works well for sandwiches, soups, or both!
- Helps kids be independent at school.
- Is BPA and Phthalate-free
The OmieBox is designed to be easy for kids to use independently. It is easy to open, requires no setup, and lets kids easily scoop food out. OmieBox gives kids control over their meals, therefore encouraging them to eat better.
What is included?
The OmieBox includes the lunchbox itself, a lid seal, a divider, a thermos, a thermos lid with gasket, and a securing insert for the thermos.
Why not add some accessories to your OmieBox? Find them here!
Find out more about the OmieBox over on our blog!
- Hand-wash your OmieBox before the first use, and after every use.
- Fill up your side compartments with favourite foods and snacks.
- If you are using the Thermos, prepare it as advised below.
- Do not overfill your OmieBox. Leave enough room to close the lid.
- After closing the lid, push down on the latch so that it locks securely into place.
Here is a handy step by step guide to help you make the most of your OmieBox Thermos when using it for warm food!
- Make sure you correctly assemble the thermos. See here for a handy video! A gap between the lid and the securing insert is completely normal.
- Pre-heat the thermos with hot water. Leave it in their while you prepare/heat up the food, then tip it out. Hot food on a hot surface will stay warmer for longer.
- Make sure the food is piping hot before you put it in the thermos so it will stay warmer for longer.
- Food with a low specific heat, eg. sausages, nuggets, tortillas, bread, will unavoidably cool down faster. Food with a high specific heat, eg. soups, stews, meals in a lot of sauce, will stay warmer for longer.
- A half filled thermos will not keep food as warm as a well filled thermos, so make sure you fill it up. The less space between the food, the better.
- Put that lid on quickly, and don't reopen it! The quicker you put the lid on the thermos and put the thermos into the lunchbox, the better.
The main thing of all is be mindful that this was designed to keep food warm for children, not hot. The wide mouth of the thermos allows food to cool faster than most thermoses designed for adults. The prevents children being burned at lunchtime, but it was also allow them to have a warm meal from home.
- For cold food, such as yogurt or fruit, simply pre-cool the thermos with cold water.
Please see the FAQ below for more information about how the thermos keeps food warm!
The OmieBox has two types of insulation.
First – there’s a stainless steel vacuum insulated thermos. We suggest putting your warm foods in here since this insulation is most powerful, and can keep food warm for up to 4-6 hours.
Second – the entire box is air insulated & has a powerful air-tight seal. This will keep your fruits, veggies and favourite snacks cool and fresh.
If you would like the food in the side compartments to stay really cold, then we suggest popping a small ice pack or frozen tube of yogurt in there too.
The OmieBox can keep food warm for up to 4-6 hours, but this depends on:
- The temperature of the food when it first enters the thermos.
- The outside ambient temperature
- The types of food you pack.
Example: Boiling soup (93°c) will reach roughly 43-48°c after 4 hours, which most kids consider warm but not hot (as a point of reference, Starbucks kid's hot chocolate is served at 48°c).
The OmieBox thermos has a wider mouth opening than most thermoses. This allows kids to comfortably eat directly out of the thermos, jus like a bowl. The wider mouth opening also means there’s more space for the heat to escape, so it doesn’t keep food as hot as a thermos with a very narrow opening.
Some foods just don’t stay warm for very long, eg. bread, pasta, tortillas, nuggets. With these foods we recommend eating within a few hours.
Water-based foods, eg. soup, stews, or other food in plenty of sauce, will have the best shot at staying warm longer.
Yes, it has three leak-proof compartments that can hold up to 1 teaspoon of liquid.
Wet foods (eg. soup, yogurt) should go inside the thermos.
Sub-sections created by using the divider are not leak-proof, it is just meant to separate the peas from the carrots.
It is made of ABS, PP, food grade silicon, and 18/8 304 grade stainless steel. It is BPA free and meets all FDA and CPSIA safety requirements.
The hot water and harsh detergents used in a dishwasher will cause some sensitive dimensions of the redesigned OmieBox to warp, therefore making the box no longer leakproof. We are very clear about this in the user instructions. If you accidentally puts the OmieBox in the dishwasher it shouldn't cause any issues in the short term. However, we strongly recommend handwashing. Leaking caused by dishwasher use is not covered by warranty.
No, please do not place OmieBox in the microwave.
There is a small hole near the handle. This hole houses a microscopic GORE-TEX membrane which prevents trapped air from deforming OmieBox. The membrane only works in 1 direction, so while air can pass, it will not allow water or debris to enter OmieBox. Please do not try to poke the hole with sharp objects as this will damage the membrane.
The box does not come with the lid seal installed. The lid seal will be packed in a polybag and placed in the long compartment along with installation directions. Wash separately before installing.
If your OmieBox is leaking, first re-install the lid seal or the O-ring gasket. 9 out of 10 times it’s because these two items are installed improperly. Follow the installation instructions and double check that the gasket is smooth and even. Kinks or waves can cause leaking.
After packing food, close the lid and latch it. Be sure to use the palms of your hands to push along the entire surface area of the lid. This helps to engage the seal.
Did you accidentally put it in the dishwasher? If you did, then this could explain why it’s leaking. The dishwasher’s high heat could cause warping, which is why your box is leaking.
Caring for your OmieBox
- There are two silicone seals in your OmieBox. There is one large square seal that goes around the perimeter of the box. The other is a round O-ring that goes around your thermos lid. Remove after each use, wash in warm soapy water and lay flat to dry completely. Without frequent cleaning, silicone is highly prone to mould growth which is irreversible and requires the part to be completely replaced.
- To keep your lid seal in good shape, we recommend removing it and storing it inside the long compartment when your OmieBox is not in use. The lid seal needs to be installed onto the main body of the OmieBox, not the lid.
- Clean the box before first use and after every use.
- Replacement seals can be purchased separately.
- Do not use abrasive cleansers, scrubbers, bleach or cleaners containing chlorine on any part of the product.
- We strongly recommend only handwashing the OmieBox, washing in the dishwasher may cause warping.
- OmieBox has a hinged lid which is not removable, please take care when opening not to force it further than it opens.
- Do not use the box or any of its components in microwave, on stove top, in any type of oven or heat source.
- Do not place the box or any of its components in the freezer.
- OmieBox and its components are intended for children over 3 years of age. Use only with adult supervision.
- Use extreme caution when OmieBox or its components contain hot foods or liquids. Hot foods and liquids can scald user.
- Always test food temperature first before feeding child.
- Do not keep perishable foods in OmieBox or its components for prolonged periods. Follow safe food storage guidelines.
- It can hold wet foods but not liquids. Do not pack soups, drinks or watery sauces in the side compartments. Please remove any excess liquid from canned fruit, apple sauce and yogurts. Liquids should be packed in the vacuum insulated container only.
- Spare parts are not interchangeable between the old and new style OmieBoxes. To easily distinguish between both styles, new OmieBoxes have a hole near the handle, old ones do not.